Thursday, September 3, 2015

Autumn Painted Mason Jars

For the last two decades, my grandparents have canned wonderful fruits and vegetables from their garden. As I have been fortunate enough to enjoy these goods, my cabinet has slowly filled with more and more mason jars. Usually, they would get recycled for more canning but not this year. We lost both of my grandparents within a week’s time and no matter how hard my mother and I try our hand at the canning process, it will never be the same as it was from my grandparents’ garden.

So I’ve decided to immortalize these precious jars in a way that I can enjoy for years and years to come. I’m painting them for one of my most favorite times of the year, Fall. These jars are especially perfect for Fall as they all have “golden harvest” imprinted on the front!

When I first started this project, I was extremely hesitant about using acrylic paints because they are water-based and typically scrape right off of slick surfaces like glass. I’ve always used enamel (oil-based) paints for this type of medium but I’m trying to be open-minded. By using the chalkboard paint first, I’ve found that it creates an abrasive surface for the acrylic to adhere to and it creates a contrast for the letters when lightly sanded.

So here’s how I did it!

What you'll need:

Mason Jars
Chalkboard Paint
Acrylic Paints (Various colors)
Paint Brush
Emery Board/Sanding Stick

Steps:


Step 1: Clean the jars.
Thoroughly clean the jars to remove dirt and debris.


Step 2: Using a paint brush, paint a single coat of chalkboard paint onto the entire exterior surface of each jar. Let dry completely.




Step 3: Lightly brush a single coat of acrylic paint on the jar, being especially careful not to brush too hard on the jar. Let dry completely. Follow this process until the desired color is achieved. You may decide that you want a more antiqued look with less coats.

Step 4: Lightly sand the letters of the jar to reveal the bottom coat of chalkboard paint. Too much sanding will rid the jar entirely of paint in some areas. 






Check out how I use these jars for Fall Decor!
These were so easy and fun to make! Happy Fall!!!

Blog Post Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment