Sunday, August 30, 2015

Pottery Barn - Inspired Wooden Whale Art

Check out my Pottery Barn - Inspired wall art!


My mom and I picked up a wooden whale at TJ Maxx and it didn't exactly fit the style of our backyard shop, so I repainted it to give it a more rustic, nautical look. 



Here's how I did it:



I sanded down the surface, getting rid of the paint and logo.


I started with the lightest color on the bottom and blend a soft grey.



For the top half, I used a dark blue and blended in a lighter blue.


To soften the midline, I roughly brushed the blue into the white portion.



I brushed a turquoise at the center of the whale along the dark and light midline. I then faded the turquoise upwards and downwards. 


I brushed a tan color throughout the dark and light layers to blend them together even more. Using a navy blue, I painted the tail a darker color. 


To make the definition on the tail fin, I used a tan/grey and lightly brushed upwards and into the curves. 


I spotted navy blue along the top ridge of the whale.


I blended the fin by using a tan, grey and grey/navy mixture. I then outlined the fin and mouth with the navy and dark grey. 






Tada!!!!



Share with me your inspired designs!


Blog Post Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment