Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Oven Baked Chicken!

Hello again! I hope everyone has had a wonderful Tuesday! I am certainly ready for this weekend but then again, I'm always ready for the weekend! HAHA I will be headed to the lake with my parents and my little man, Jackson. He's a perfect water dog. Although it took him some time to get used to his lifejacket (a gift from granddaddy and grandmamma), he's now at a point where he can get comfortable with grandmamma on the raft and enjoy the water. I'm sure he loves all the attention he gets, too once we dock and say "Hi" to everyone at lunchtime. Well, the lake is still 4 days away but until then...I'm posting a dinner that my mom has made for me countless times and one that I've tried a few times on my own but with a few differences.

Oven Baked Chicken with new potatoes and carrots.

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken (hen) or 2 bone-in chicken breasts 
               (It really depends on how many people 
                     you are cooking for)
New Potatoes
Baby Carrots
Salt & Pepper
Thyme

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
To start, be sure your chicken is clean. Clean any feathers that remain and cut off any extra fat, but leave the skin. The skin gives a ton of flavor. Clean and cut your new potatoes in half to ensure even cooking. In a casserole dish, place the chicken, potatoes and carrots together. Season with salt and pepper and your favorite chicken herb like Parsley, Thyme, Rosemary or Dill. My mom likes to use Rosemary and I use Thyme so it's really up to you according to your taste. Cover the casserole dish and bake in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour. (Atleast an hour to 1hr 30 min for a whole chicken). About halfway through cooking, be sure to rotate your vegetables into the juices from the chicken to prevent them from drying out. It's that easy!

Note: 
*You can add some cut stalks of celery if you want. 
*Be sure to utilize your whole chicken if you have it...stuff the inside with plenty of potatoes, carrots and celery. 
*Instead of new potatoes you can use regular baking potatoes.



You can use a meat thermometer or simply cut open the thick side of the chicken and check for any pink remaining. 


This is why this recipe does not call for olive oil or butter. The chicken will cook down and give you a nice amount of juice to help steam the veggies. You can use this to coat as well when plating.

Jackson seems to like it! :D


If you have any suggestions about this recipe or questions let me know! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment