Sunday, July 3, 2011

Preserving Memories!

It's almost the 4th of July and many of my friends are getting together with their families for the holiday. Two summers ago we had a huge family reunion to get together and celebrate a memorial for my grandfather. He had passed the previous December and we hadn't visited each other in so long. We gathered in my birth state, Mississippi and spent a week catching up. My grandfather was a wonderful artist in the Delta and he was well known for his work around the area. We held a memorial/art show to celebrate his life and work with family and friends of the south and spread his ashes in the Mississippi River. Because it's that time again I thought I would share a project that my mom and I put together for the reunion. Instead of recording vacations , we made a scrapbook of my grandfather's life and our family. It's a great thing to have around the house too.
For the front, we chose a picture of my grandfather as a boy since it was in his honor.
We had very old pictures of my grandfather and family that we wanted to use in the scrapbook. Instead of cutting up the originals, I took them to Walmart to scan them and make duplicates. 

I love this page, you can find them at your crafts and scrapbooking store. I'm still working on completing this page but it's a great way to share family history.
Showing off his work.

These are actually newspaper clippings that I scanned at Walmart and printed onto 4 x 6" prints. It's a great way to incorporate old keepsakes. I even printed the article on the left on 2 separate prints and overlapped them to get everything in.

My grandfather has many badges from his Scout Leader years so we made a faux sash out of scrapbook paper and added some of the patches. 
Incorporating some of his smaller artwork.
We then made pages of his children, grandchildren and greatgrandchildren to show the generations.
3rd Generation Tom



Grandchildren

Taylor aka Getus (as our grandfather nicknamed him) 

4th Generation Tom (Repetition, it's a southern thing!) :D


Greatgrandchildren
This scrapbook means a lot to me and I hope that you will be inspired to experiment with different uses for a scrapbook. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment