In this blog, I'm sharing a DIY upcycle that we did with an old rustic, DISGUSTING toolbox. I may have developed a personal vendetta against this box after several close calls with needing a tetanus shot. This toolbox had been through it all: rust, dings, peeling paint, mouse excrement (that's right, I said excrement) and spider webs that could substitute for gorilla glue. Let's just say, if there was a tool in this box that I needed, I would just go without....UNTIL NOW!
Here's how we did it:
First, we started with a trip to Home Depot to get some spray paint. We used Rustoleum Primer and Metallic Rubbed Bronze. I have found that Rustoleum is by far the superior brand for spray painting projects! For this project, we initially bought 2 cans of primer and 3 cans of metallic, but we found that we actually needed about 6 cans of metallic. Jackson came along for the ride, of course!
We then started stripping down the toolbox. First, we took off the hardware.
(I told you it was rusted.)
Using steel wool, we worked some of the rust and chipping paint out of the drawers.
We vacuumed the entire inside of the toolbox including the drawers and interior cavity.
Using a orbital sander, we smoothed out the old paint on all exterior and interior surfaces to help the primer and paint adhere.
Here goes the primer!
Surprisingly, the primer went on very well.
We discovered this sprayer head at Home Depot that attaches to the paint can for easy application. It was a lifesaver for such a larger project.
Coats, coats and more coats.
Don't forget the drawers.
...and final coat!!!
We polished the handles, reattached them and fixed her up with a receiver to play music in the garage.
So much better!